Canadian Forces Ammunitions Depot Bedford
The former Local Lodge1723 received its charter with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM&AW) in 1946 and joined the Federal Government Dockyard Trades and Labour Council (East). The Local worked mainly out of the Naval Armament Depot (NAD) and was downsized from 143 members at it’s peek through attrition and a loss of members to a New Union Group in the Halifax Dockyard. Downsizing moved the main part of the work force from NAD in Dartmouth over to the Halifax Dockyard into a central work Center now known as FMF Cape Scott . The remaining five members of Local Lodge 1723 who were located at CFAD Bedford stayed with the IAM&AW and after 5 years were amalgamated with Local Lodge 2797 and Local Lodge 482 in 2003. They brought with them their tangible assets, Charter and there Lodge name, The Acadia Lodge which they proudly presented to the new Acadia Lodge Local 2797.
At CFAD Bedford we maintain, repair and modify missile and torpedoes for the Canadian Armed Forces as well as being active members of the Federal Government Dockyard Trades & Labour Council (East)
Pictured below are Dan Reid and John MacKay cleaning some internal parts and fueling a fuel tank in preparation of reassembly a Mk 46 Torpedo after scheduled maintenance.